Saturday, December 8, 2012

General Taos Crock Pot Chicken

I love Chinese food, but unfortunately, we don't go out to eat often, especially to Chinese places.  My hubby has witnessed enough non-refregerated refrigeration trucks heading to Chinese restaurants to not want to go there, unless it's winter and the food inside the truck would be cold anyway.  So, that means soon we will make a trip to the local Chinese buffet!

But, until then, I love to make Chinese food at home.  This is a new recipe that I've not tried yet, but looks pretty simple and yummy. I will come back and alter if needed after we have tasted it prepared.

General Taos Crock Pot Chicken

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 4 tsp minced garlic
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like hot)
  • 1 16-oz package stir fry veggies
FREEZER MEAL DIRECTIONS:
Place chicken in resealable bag.  Combine remaining ingredients (except veggies), mix well and pour over chicken.  Freeze.  I put quart bag of chicken, with the bag of veggies, into a gallon ziploc so they were both together and handy.
DIRECTIONS FOR BAG:  Thaw.  Place in crock pot.  Cook on low 5-6 hrs.  Then add frozen veggies.  Recover and cook on high for 1 hr or until veggies are hot and chicken has reached desired tenderness.  Serve over rice. 

TO PREPARE WITHOUT FREEZING:
Place chicken in crock pot. Combine remaining ingredients (except veggies), mix well and pour over chicken.  Cook on low 5-6 hrs.  Then add frozen veggies.  Recover and cook on high for 1 hr or until veggies are hot and chicken has reached desired tenderness.  Serve over rice.


What Chinese recipe do you have that you want to share? Leave it in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. I made this tonight. It was super easy & very tasty! I did not have crushed red pepper, so i just omitted it. I did almost triple the sauce ingredients (except garlic) so that there was enough to coat the rice. And i added about 2 Tbsp of honey, because i wanted out a little but sweeter. My husband absolutely loved It

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you and hubby liked it! I will have to try adding honey. thanks for the tip!!!

      Delete
    2. Going to freeze this for the week! Can not wait to try it out.

      Delete
  2. There are alot of 'Asian' recipes that an Asian wouldn't eat, this is not one of them. This just might be one that an Asian&white couplecould both enjoy. Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubled the sauce recipe from the beginning and the chicken was still rather dry and the taste didnt pop out like regular general tso's chicken. I do like the idea of having it in the crockpot so I will try to adapt to a better liking for my family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can You Use Anything In Place Of Ginger? Pregnant And Ginger Makes Me Sick (Ironic Lol).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this tonight as a stir fry, rather than in the crockpot all day. It was very good!! love the flavor of the sauce. Thank you. We had it with Trader Joe's vegetable stir fry rice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have this cooking in the crock pot right now! Hope it turns out good! I can't wait to try it later on tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm underwhelmed. I think I need to play with the blends of spices. And maybe stir-fry would be better for me. The crock pot made the red pepper flakes disappear completely. But I'm going to try it again, because I need slow cooker recipes just now. I give it four out of five stars--I just expected more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was excellent! I will be making this often. Thank you very much for the delicious and easy recipe. I tripled the sauce ingredients, based on other comments, and it was perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this ... The hubby loved it too def gonna make it again very very yummy... The only thing we did different was right before it was ready to serve we remade the sauce emtied what was in the crockpot bc it was so thin and added the new sauce

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out my blog. I love hearing from you. :) Hope you enjoy your time here.
Deann